Thursday, September 5, 2013

Settling In

IMG_20130905_093506.jpg
View from the front of my friend's apartment building 


So I finally moved in with my host family, and am settling in to the groove of this city.
My host family is absolutely wonderful. I have a mom, two sisters and a brother. The father is working in Abu Dhabi, so I don't think I'll meet him while I am here. The mom is unbelievably sweet, and she really really cares about my eating habits. All the time. She doesn't speak much english, so mostly she just asks if I am hungry, if I want tea, fruit, a snack, spaghetti, and then she double checks that I am full. I think it's great, she's very caring. The sisters are my age, and both work and stay pretty busy, and I am still not fully sure that the brother exists... I have yet to meet him. We live in a smaller apartment close to the 'downtown' area of Amman. The apartment is nice enough, and has a large private patio out back that gets cool in the evening (which is a great getaway from the heat). Also, maybe one of the best things, my family has a dog! A somewhat awkward little Bishon Frise, with shaved hair. His name is Whitey. Whitey loves sleeping underneath my bed, and growling at random points in time. I will be sharing a bedroom with my older host sister, and I have been given a large amount of cabinet space, plenty for the limited amount of luggage I packed.
My home sweet home for now! Simple, but all that I really need. 
I already feel comfortable with my family, something about the fact that it is just us girls, and the sisters are my age. In the evening once they get home from work, we basically sit in the living room and chat over whatever soap opera is playing on the TV. And by chat I mean they speak in Arabic, I try to follow for a bit, give up, and they roughly translate every once in a while. Altogether though, I find it pleasant and relaxing. My sisters are more than happy to help me with my endless questions. I am definitely looking forward to my time with this family this semester, and I will get LOTS of practice with Arabic in.

IMG_20130905_030051.jpg
My first diet coke in 7 days! 

If there is anything that my experience so far has taught me, it's that I basically just don't know anything. By that I mean: take me out of my comfort zone, and I am useless. I can study the culture from my classroom at DU, read news on the region daily, attempt to learn the language, try to learn to read a map, but NO I really just don't have a clue what I am doing. And I am coming to terms with that. My type-A highly efficient personality is trying to take a chill pill, and working to take things simply as they come. My number one goal as I finish my orientation and really start getting into things: take it as it comes. I am humbled daily by my inability to converse with taxi drivers, shop owners, waiters, and even my host family. But I am also thrilled when I can get a sentence or idea across to them, or when they get excited that I know at least a little Arabic. So as I move on from orientation, get into life with my new family, and start classes, I am excited to start feeling fresh, clean, and open to whatever I can learn.




1 comment:

  1. Amazing you have so much insight for one so young. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy - sweet girl. Love to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete