Sunday, September 1, 2013

En Route

Well, I have finally made it to Amman. I am in a fantastic hotel for the next two days for orientation, before getting picked up by my host family.
The trip to Amman was long, but we got to stop through Frankfurt, Germany for a day, which was well worth it. On my flight out of Denver I got to meet another girl on her way to study abroad in Prague, so we had a pleasant flight together, chatting, watching a couple of movies, then I passed out while she stayed up the entire 9 1/2 hours, crazy.
After landing in Frankfurt I met up with 4 other students from my program and we ventured into Germany for the day because we had a 10 hour layover. Frankfurt is a great city, much like a downtown area that you would see in America. We passed a strip similar to Cherry Creek in Denver, with shops so pricey I wouldn't dare set foot in. We wanted to see a more authentic area of the city, so we wandered past the expensive shops, and into a town square area. Here all of the buildings were more what I pictured as "German" and in the middle a protest was forming (Joshua and mom, I promise I took no part in it... just took pictures and walked by).
Then we walked over the Bridge of Love Padlocks. This is a bridge, similar to many others around the world, where couples will travel to, and attach the lock to symbolize their love. I thought it was great. Cheesy, and romantic, I definitely want to be able to add a lock here someday.
Apparently there are a number of these bridges all over the world. It was beautiful.
Across this bridge was a small outdoor bar where we sat for a German beer... apparently something you must experience in Germany. Not wholly unsurprising, I couldn't finish mine. But it was a fun experience, trying to ask the waitress for just plain beer, and sitting by the river.

Overall, it was a great way to spend a long layover, and good times connecting with a few people from my group. We boarded the plane to the last leg of our journey, and arrived in Amman at 2 am. Customs was frightfully easy compared to trying to get into the United States, I'm pretty sure the guy barely scanned my bags. But that's besides the point. The point is, about 32 hours later, I safely arrived in a hotel in Amman!
Our official orientation starts tomorrow, then we will be transported to our host family on Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Haha thanks for the reassurance. I can tell you I won't miss a wink of sleep worrying about "Germany". :) Love you

    ReplyDelete